Magento has always been a favorite amongst the serious e-commerce entrepreneurs. Especially, when it comes to finding the most reliable and scalable e-commerce platform. Magento is the leading e-commerce platform for the Alexa top 1 million sites. This is because it is robust and scalable and is actively enhanced by a community of developers. They are very focused on making it an enterprise-grade e-commerce platform. It has been a boon for SMEs who have now a cost-effective way to overcome the e-commerce technology hurdle.
Magento’s popularity is attributed to the following key factors:
- Magento is a reliable, secure software platform and scalable. It can be used by SMB’s as well as enterprises.
- It is also highly customizable and can be molded as per your requirements.
- You have the freedom to chose your hosting environment (self-hosted, Magento hosted).
- Can be easily integrated with other enterprise systems with extensions
- SEO friendly compared to some of the other e-commerce platforms
- Optimized for speed and performance
- It has an active developer community and a host of extensions for every possible functionality
Magento usage stats support the fact that Magento is a popular choice for major e-commerce stores
- Magento is trusted by 250,000+ e-commerce websites globally
- Some of the premium companies using Magento are Burger King, Coca-Cola, Ford, Nestle Nespresso and many more
- It has 70,000+ techie developers working worldwide
- It has captured approximately 26% of e-commerce software market share
All the benefits notwithstanding, e-commerce merchants are sometimes hesitant to use Magento. It is a complex software and requires developer bandwidth coding expertise to get your store up and running. This is in contrast to a platform like WooCommerce. It is user-friendly, even though it is nowhere near it in terms of scalability and robustness.
Using Magento doesn’t necessarily have to be complicated. Magento setup and installation is similar to any LAMP (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PhP) software. Moreover, many web hosts today provide one click installation service for popular scripts including Magento. However what it does require is good server specs. As it is quite resource intensive, your ordinary shared web hosting plan may not suffice.
Here is an infographic which provides a detailed step by step guide to building your own Magento store from scratch and also provides useful tips on maintaining, optimizing and marketing your Magento store.
Note: This is a Guest Post by Maulik Shah of Biztech IT Consultancy Pvt Ltd.