Push notifications let website and application owners notify their users/visitors through notifications without them actively seeking this information. Website and application owners can send notifications about events, promotions, articles. Push notifications have seen more conversions historically compared to other mediums such as sms, email. Push notifications can have strong calls to action and can be personalized to make them more effective.
Web push notifications involve two steps –
For building subscribers, users are prompted for notifications on website. The subscription step generates a unique key for the user, subscription is associated with website domain. Website owners can then push notifications to all the subscribers. For app notifications, consent for sending notifications is usually taken at the time of app installation.
On desktop platform, notifications are supported on Chrome version 42 and above, Firefox version 44 and above, Safari version 7 and above. On mobile platform, notifications are supported on Chrome 42 and above. Firefox is expected to go live with push notifications on mobile very soon.
Users are prompted with a consent box asking them to ‘allow’ or ‘block’ notifications from the website, users who click on ‘allow’ become a part of the subscriber base. Chrome, Firefox, Safari provide notification settings for users to remove notification subscription from a site.
On Chrome, User can go to Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Content Settings -> Notifications -> Manage Exceptions -> Remove permission for a specified website.
On Firefox, User can go to Preferences -> Content -> Notifications -> Remove permission for a specific website.
On Safari, User can go to Preferences -> Notifications -> Remove permission for a specific website.
Push notification on Chrome comes in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
For Firefox and Safari, it appears on the top-right corner of the screen.
Can we customize a push notification? What all fields are customizable?
Yes, you may customize your push notification. The following fields are customizable:
Notification Title (40 characters)
Message (130 characters)
Image (200*200 png)
The notification on Chrome lasts on the screen until any user interaction takes place. This can be customized in your iZooto account – whether you want your notification to stay until manual interaction or want it to go away after 20 seconds.
For Firefox and Safari, the push notification by-default lasts for 10-15 seconds on a user’s screen.
Web push notifications are supported by all major browsers – Chrome, Firefox and Safari.
Chrome: Supported by Browsers on Version 42 and above.
Firefox: Supported by Browsers on Version 44 and above.
Safari: Supported by Safari 7 and above on OS
Apple Push Notification Service is the messaging service that communicates / routes notifications from various service providers to iOS and OSx devices. APN Each iOS and OSx device sets up an encrypted connection with APNs and receives notification over this persistent connection. Safari Push Notifications are delivered to the end device via APNs. In case the notification is delivered when the app is not running, the device alerts the user.
Google Cloud Messaging is a free service that enables developers to send messages between servers and client apps. This includes downstream messages from servers to client apps, and upstream messages from client apps to servers.
For the browser to prompt consent to the user the website must be on https protocol. Since your website is on http, we host a https page for you to take consents. The name you enter is what will be shown in the consent page url and in the notifications sent.
There are two ways for you to take subscriptions on your domain:
1. Brand as www.yourwebsite.com: Simple process for you to register as:
- We shall share the HTTPS SDK with you. We would need a GCM Sender ID and Server API Key. If you already have one, do share that or you could create one by following these basic steps to create one.
- You would need to place 2 files on the root directory of the website such that they are accessible directly such as www.yourwebsite.com/service-worker.js and www.yourwebsite.com/manifest.json
- We would want to you create a page such as https://www.yourwebsitecom/notifications and place our tag there.
2. Brand as notify.yourwebsite.com
– Please do a CNAME entry as : notify.yourwebsite.com and point it to notify.izooto.com
– You can continue with the same tag that you already have on the site. Do note that this is applicable only in our paid plans.
– This will ensure that the user consents are obtained on http://notify.yourwebsite.com. Users will receive notifications also from the same domain.
1. For https site the consent prompt is managed by the browser, so we cannot do any customizations.
2. For http site you can choose the colour, logo and copy of the 1st click banner. Login to the iZooto dashboard to manage the same.