What is Firebase Cloud Messaging ( FCM )?
Firebase is a mobile platform that helps you quickly develop high-quality apps, grow your user base, and earn more money. Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) allows you to send notifications and data messages reliably to iOS, Android, and the Web for free. FCM is now at the forefront and Google has committed to devote more time and attention to FCM.
It was announced in 2016 that Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) will get replaced by Firebase Cloud Messaging.
[Update] Google recently announced that GCM will be deprecated and all developers will need to upgrade to FCM by April 2019. If you are using iZooto for web push notifications, you don't have to worry about this at all - we have you covered. We have already initiated the process for upgrading existing customers from GCM to FCM. Follow this page for product related updates.
The new mobile development platform, Firebase, is a suite of integrated products which are designed to help you develop your application. Read more about Firebase here
How to register with Firebase?
Here are the main steps that you can follow to register with Firebase Cloud Messenger. including registering with FCM, creating a new project and migrating from GCM.
CREATING A NEW PROJECT
Step 1 : Sign into the Firebase Console with your Gmail ID.
Step 2: Click on 'Create a new Project' and enter a project name followed by selecting country/region. Click on 'Create Project' to move further.
Step 3: Go to the dashboard, Select the project to access the project settings.
Step 4: Click on 'Cloud Messaging' for your Sender ID and Server Key.
How to migrate from GCM to FCM?
Step 1: Sign into https://console.firebase.google.com/
Step 2: Click on google 'IMPORT GOOGLE PROJECT' and choose the project you want to migrate to FCM.
Step 3: Choose your Country/region and move further by clicking on 'ADD FIREBASE'.
Step 4: Go to the dashboard and select the project to access the project settings.
Step 5: Click on 'Cloud Messaging' for your Sender ID and Server Key.
Step 6: You can check the list of your projects on the homepage.
How you can use your FCM credentials for Chrome push notifications with iZooto?
1. Visit the iZooto website and click on 'Get Started for Free'.
2. Fill in your details along with your website URL and click on 'Get Started'
3. This will take you directly to the iZooto dashboard. Here, click on 'Generate Code' to move to the next step.
4. If you have added an HTTP website, this generated code needs to be placed before your website header. However, for HTTPS website this process will have an additional step to add the code in the root directory as well. Check the steps here.
5. Choose a pricing plan to begin with. We recommended the Professional plan or start with a free trial.
6. Go to Settings >> General Settings.
7. Click on 'Project Key' and then on 'Submit a request for update'
8. Enter your FCM sender ID and Server Key and click on 'Submit to complete this process.
Once your FCM Project Key is updated, you can start creating campaigns and pushing out notifications to your subscribers.